The purpose of NDAD's Financial Loan Program is to expand personal financing options for North Dakotans with a disability to purchase assistive devices and services. Individuals who may have difficulty obtaining conventional financing may be eligible for financing through this low-interest program, provided in association with Alerus Financial.
Assistive devices help people with disabilities achieve a more independent and productive life.
Assistive device services are those that help people with device selection, acquisition, or use.
These loans may be used to purchase assistive devices and services, including but not limited to:
- Modified vehicles
- Home modifications (available to homeowners only)
- Computers and adaptive hardware and software
- Mobility items, such as walkers, manual and power wheelchairs, and scooters
- Environmental control devices, such as voice-activated appliance controls
- Augmentative communication devices that help people who are unable to use verbal speech to communicate.
- Recreational and leisure items, such as adaptive fishing equipment
- Used assistive equipment (requires a professional's written evaluation of the equipment's value and condition)
- Needs evaluations
- Assistive device training
- Device maintenance, repair and warranties (excluding vehicle maintenance)
- Device design and construction
- Technical assistance for family members, personal care attendants, or employers
Loans range from $500 to $50,000, depending upon both the cost of the device or service and the applicant's ability to repay the amount requested. Contact your local NDAD office for information on the current interest rate. Repayment terms are based on the expected useful life of the assistive device.
A family member may apply on behalf of children or other family members with disabilities, provided the device or service is to be used for that family member with a disability.
Here's your chance to:
Download NDAD's Financial Loan Program brochure (.PDF).
Read a short interview about the program with NDAD Chief Program Officer Leslie Stastny.
Obtain a question-and-answer information sheet and application form (.PDF) for NDAD's Financial Loan Program.
(NOTE: NDAD application forms and some other materials are provided online in a .PDF software format. Download Adobe Acrobat's .PDF reader if you don't have one.)
Contact your nearest NDAD office or call (800) 532-NDAD for more information or to request an application.